Tuesday, August 13, 2013

ARC Review: Under a Spell

Under a Spell (Underworld Detective Agency #5)

Author: Hannah Jayne
Publisher: Kensington Books
Date of Publication: August 6, 2013
Description:

Count your blessings, guard your curses--and watch your back. . .
Sophie Lawson was seriously hoping life at the UDA would get back to relative normal now that her boss Pete Sampson has been reinstated. Unfortunately, her new assignment is sending her undercover into a realm where even the most powerful paranormals fear to tread. . .her old high school. Being a human immune to magic is no defense against soulless picture-perfect mean girls--or a secret witch coven about to sacrifice a missing female student. And Sophie's Guardian, uber-proper Englishman Will, is determined to convince Sophie he's the kind of temptation she should indulge in permanently. Now as the clock ticks down to apocalypse, he and Sophie will have to summon every trick in the book to battle devilish illusion, lethal sorcery--and betrayals they'll never see coming . . .

My Thoughts:

This is definitely part of a series, though I didn't know that when I picked it up from NetGalley. Sophie Lawson was pretty amusing as a character, though her snark got on my nerves. Anyone who knows me, knows I like snark and have snarkiness in my heroines. Unfortunately, Sophie was just waaaay over the top at times and places. There were a few times I almost gave up on the book. But, the overall story was intriguing enough that I ultimately couldn't put this book down and not finish it.

As I said, I enjoyed it though had issues. One of my main issues, beyond Sophie's pretty constant whining about high school, was her absolute blind spot to the ultimate villain (okay, one of the two) in the book. From almost the beginning, it was pretty clear who one of them was, and almost no one looked twice at the individual. (Sorry, trying not to spoil this, because it's worth the read, but on the other hand, one of my major problems comes from the issue of one of the villains).

I loved the secondary cast, from Sophie's two vampire roommates to her sexy Englishman Will and apparently a complicated relationship with an angel named Alex who works as a police officer. Some of Ms. Jayne's descriptions were hilarious and kept my attention even as I wanted to slap Sophie upside the head from time to time for being a ditz.

This book rated 3 stars from me. I might pick up other books in the series because I'm curious about how things got to where they are, but on the other hand, I'm not positive how much of Sophie I could actually take in a single (or more) sitting(s).

Thank you for letting me read this book, Kensington/Ms. Jayne.

Book provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

1 comment:

Thank you so much for leaving your comments and thoughts. I can only get better with your help. Tory